If you are on a low income or receive certain means-tested or other benefits then you may be able to save money on your Southern Water bill.
Southern Water offer a variety of different schemes for various financial circumstances that allow you to get a reduced rate for the water that you use. If any of the following apply to you, then you are eligible for a discount:
- Your household income is low
- Someone within your household receivs a means-tested benegfit
- You have three or more children under the age of 19 living in your household
- Someone in your household uses more water due to a medical condition
- You are in arrears with your Southern Water bill payments
There are four main schemes on the Southern Water social Tariff, each designed to help different types of households
|Scheme||How it helps|
|WaterSure||Caps your bills|
|Water Direct||Your water is paid directly from your benefits|
|NewStart||Support for a Southern Water debt|
|Essentials||A discount on your future bills|
On this page
WaterSure from Southern Water
If you have a lower income and a water meter fitted at your property, then you may be eligible for a reduction in charges, capped at £402 per year.
If you meet the following conditions then Southern Water can limit a the charge for your water and waste water services.
Either you or something within your household are receiving one of the following benefits or tax credits:
- Child Tax Credit (more than the family element)
- Housing Benefit
- Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
And either one of the following:
Your household is responsible for three or more children under the age of 19 in full time education living with you
Or you, your child or the person receiving one of the above benefits have a specified medical condition that requires the use of more water than normal, such as:
- Abdominal stoma
- Crohn’s disease
- Eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration
- Ulcerative colitis
- Renal failure, where home dialysis is needed
- Other conditions that mean they have to use a lot of water
Water Direct by Southern Water
If you’re claiming Income-Based Job-Sekker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit then Jobcentre Plus may be able to pay Southern Water directly form your benefits.
If you have £50 or more in arrears, then Job Centre Plus will also take a fixed amount each month to cover what you owe in arrears as well as your current charges.
NewStart Debt Support from Southern Water
NewStart is a scheme that can help you pay off your water debt. If you currently owe money to Southern Water and haven’t been able to make a payment for a while, then you might qualify for NewStart. There is a special form on the Southern Water website to apply for this service.
Essentials Southern Water Social Tariff
The Essentials tariff offered by Southern Water is designed to help customers who are struggling to pay their water service charges. It provides a discount of at least 45% on future bills as well as a low income pensioner account.
You may qualify for the Southern Water essentials tariff if the following apply:
- Your household income is less than £21,000 (excluding benefits for disability)
- Someone in your household receives pension credits
Again, there is a special form on the Southern Water website to apply for this.